Thursday, February 19, 2009

Raw and dairy free smoothies galore!

I've had a great time experimenting with raw smoothies lately. First I looked through a great cookbook "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen" by Ani Phyo, for some beginning ideas. This cookbook is the best I've seen so far, I love it! All of her recipes got me thinking of my own smoothie combo's. So here's a few I've experimented with.

Orange, Vanilla and Coconut Smoothie
2 oranges
1 t. good quality vanilla
1 T. shredded coconut
1/4 c. of almonds soaked in 1 cup of water for 2-3 hours
1 T. coconut oil
2 t. agave nectar**

1. Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. It will be a little chunky. Serves 2. Will keep in the fridge for 3 days.

**Agave nectar is an alternative to honey. It's extracted from the agave plant and is vegan. It has a low glycemic index to prevent a spike in blood sugar. It is 25% sweeter than sugar. You could substitute honey if you don't have agave nectar.



Carob, Strawberry, Coconut smoothie

1 1/2 cups strawberries
1/4 c. cashews
1/4 c. pitted dates soaked in water to soften
1 t. good quality vanilla
1 T. coconut oil
1 T. carob powder
1 c. water
1 T. flaxseed meal

1. Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Serves 2. Will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days.

Pina Colada
1 1/2 c. water
1 c. fresh cut pineapple
1/4 c. almonds, soaked in water for 2-3 hours
1/4 c. pitted dates soaked in water to soften
1 T. coconut oil
1 T. shredded coconut
1 t. vanilla
1 T. flaxseed meal

1. Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Can be refrigerated for 3 days. Serves 2.

I actually prefer these smoothies the day after I make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment