Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Buckwheat cereal

I saw this idea in "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen" and finally tried it today. All you need is Buckwheat Groats. I got them at Whole Foods in the bulk section.

1. First soak the groats in water for 6-8 hours. Rinsing and draining about once every hour.
2. After the soak, rinse and drain well.
3. Then lay out pieces of wax paper on your dehydrator trays and spread out the groats evenly among the trays.
4. Dehydrate for 3-5 hours until all the water is absorbed.

I ate these tonight topped with sunflower seeds, coconut, and a little bit of juice. They kind of reminded me of grape nuts. You definitely have to chew, but a great way to eat your whole grains. In the cookbook, she tops her groats with carob almond milk. I've never been much for milk on cereal. I imagine they would be good with some full fat yogurt, none of that fat free stuff. I've been reading a lot about how all the low fat foods are actually filled with tons of chemicals. For some reason this is just occuring to me. Besides, the full fat yogurt tastes so much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment