Friday, April 3, 2009

Another grain for breakfast

Yesterday morning I had millet for breakfast. When I told Martin I bought millet, he looked at me like I was crazy and said "We fed millet to the birds when I worked at the pet store." My response was "My mom fed it to us when we were younger and I liked it." It's a small yellow, ball shaped grain. You cook it with twice as much water as grain for about 20 minutes. Just bring the cereal and water to a boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes or until tender.

I added a little agave nectar, chopped almonds, and shredded coconut to mine. It was yummy!

It's good to try a variety of different grains. There are so many out there. I think wheat is definitely important, but it's important to try other kinds too. They all have different nutritional content and fiber amounts.

I love the bulk section at Whole Foods. That's where I buy most things. It's perfect because you can get a little amount to see if you like it. I buy my steel cut oats, millet, sea salt, shredded coconut, and sesame seeds in bulk. It's not very expensive. There are suggested directions on how to cook the grains on all the bins in the store.

I also purchased the agave nectar at Whole Foods. It's kind of pricey, but I bought a small container for about $5 and it has lasted me about 2 months so far. I don't use it for everything, mostly for shakes or for granola breakfasts. It is actually 25% sweeter than sugar, but doesn't cause a spike in your blood sugar, so that's a better choice in my opinion. If you don't have agave nectar, you could certainly substitute honey.

I love the steel cut oats! They are just the whole grain groats sliced up into 2 or 3 pieces. It's nice to have a little texture, as opposed to mushy oatmeal.

1 comment:

  1. I made millet, about a year ago, as a side dish (instead of rice). I thought it was tasty, but Seth felt otherwise. I guess only I will eat it. Thanks for some additional serving suggestions.

    ReplyDelete